Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Organic + Geometric

Boy! oh boy! things have changed! A year ago, I was terrified of wearing anything that wasn't a neutral or a matching color. As the days go by, my print mismatches become crazier and crazier, and it sure is a wonderful thing.
All the magazines say, that when mixing prints, you should combine a smaller print with a larger print. That is true, but there are so many other tips and tricks to successful print matching. Recently, I have found the combination of an organic/tribal pattern with a graphic print to be rather effective. It adds a nice contrast, and it can create a modern, more youthful touch to an otherwise mature garment. For example, this Nine West blouse can come across as old-lady, for lack of a better term, when all by it's lonesome. But when paired with a contrasting bright color or a print, it has a completely different feel.
This velvet coat is from some random thrift store in Sewanee, Tennessee. I recently remembered it, and I'm super excited about it all over again. It goes with everything, and the length is perfect-- classy and fresh!

Look at these insane shadows! Kudos to my photographer!

This necklace is actually a belt-- a belt from a pair of floral, embroidered jeans from my days as a fourth grader. The color is just too perfect... I couldn't bear to get rid of it!



When I was attempting to put together an outfit for today, this edited-oil-pastel-face-photograph was hanging next to my closet. It may seem abstract, but it inspired my outfit. I saw the red-orange color and thought of this shirt. And then I added the sky-blue necklace. I love red-orange and bright blue together. It's beautiful, not to mention a complementary color scheme. My art teacher would be proud.

Vintage coat/ vintage pants/ Nine West shirt/ necklace thrifted from my childhood/ Sam Edelman booties/ Forever 21 headband/ Sunglasses from my dad's closet
Worn with Lipstick Queen's Red Sinner.

20 comments:

  1. Great outfit.
    You look stunning. I really love the mix of the patterns and your coat is pretty cool, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou for your comment too! Nice outfit x bloggingsophie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are great,I always LOVE your outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great great outfit, I love the way you mix all the colors and the patterns, so cool!
    Very nice blog !

    ReplyDelete
  5. i totally agree with you about the clashing prints they look so great here!
    You have a really wonderful blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Polka dots never looked so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your pants.



    StylePicks
    http://stylepicks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my, i LOVE your trousers! love the shadow in the pictures too x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome outfits! Congrats on your ever evolving style. xo style, she wrote

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, this is so cool! I'm loving the mixed prints.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh me oh my, i wish i can pull off print like you do! i normally stick to one print at a time but you have inspired me! you look really adorable here!!!

    p.s
    yes your shadows are pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh wow :) so pleased I found your blog! your style is amazing. so colourful and fun! cant wait to see more from you :)

    The Flower Girl

    thebohemiangoods.blogspot.com

    X

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous outfit! That lip colour looks great on you.
    I'm now following, hope you can do the same :)

    http://amyssecretcloset.blogspot.com/
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really lovely blog, and such an amazing outfit. Those trousers are heavenly!
    It's also great to see your inspiration,

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh i lovee that outfit! I love how you've mixed prints! Great photo's - I agree the shadows are amazing! I cannot wait until i can get a proper camera! Im now following :)

    Hope you can do the same :) Happy New Year dear!
    http://londonscloset.blogspot.com
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely outfit! Kiss Marie,
    http://marieblogueuse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this look! Love how you mix the unexpected.

    www.baublesandbangles.blogspot.com

    -Stephanie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I couldn't do this without my lovely readers, commentors, and followers! I'll be sure to check out your blog too!