Wednesday, May 5, 2010

"Tie"-ing it all together...

This is what I wore to school today. I made this belt this past weekend out of two ties that I sewed together. I love the funky element of the belt, especially how it matches my shoes. Since its so busy though, I paired it with fairly simple pieces.
Skirt, Old Navy. Tee Shirt, Urban Outfitters. Belt, Handmade. Shoes, Aldo. Socks, Target. Vintage Camera, B&H Photo. Flower, Forever 21.

Here are some closeups of the belt...
To make the belt, I placed the two ties opposite one another, overlapping, and meeting at the corners of the tips. Then I zig-zagged stitched the edges of the top tie to the bottom tie. The actual sewing took just a few minutes. The hardest part was finding two patterns that coordinated well. I got these ties at Goodwill for around $1.50 each-- now that's what I call a bargain.

Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone!

Follow zoe_schlacter on Twitter

10 comments:

  1. love the DIY tie belts, the patterns you picked are the best!

    lovelove, M.
    http://marissaexplains.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool belt!

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOOOOOVE the skirt and shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. zoe, this is awesome! they look kinda gothic tho

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so cute like that i love your amazing shoes great look!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your shoes are amazing, they look great paired with the belt !
    well done
    C,x

    http://moncheri2311.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That belt is freaking adorable. I'm totally doing this DIY asap!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, you just reminded me that I have those same shoes and that i really need to start wearing them. You look so adorable! Great idea for the belt.

    xoxo
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea making a belt out of ties! It kind of looks like the obi belts that are very trendy at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh! You're great - if there is anybody unique - it's you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I couldn't do this without my lovely readers, commentors, and followers! I'll be sure to check out your blog too!