Monday, May 17, 2010

The intricate garb that Spring will wear.

So this is what I wore to school today. It's kind of hard to explain, but this skirt is my English project. We had to create something or do a presentation that was inspired by a poem.
The poem that I chose is called Two Sewing by Hazel Hall...
The wind is sewing with needles of rain.
With shining needles of rain
It stitches into the thin
Cloth of earth. In,
In, in, in.
Oh, the wind has often sewed with me.
One, two, three.
Spring must have fine things
To wear like other springs.
Of silken green the grass must be
Embroidered. One and two and three.
Then every crocus must be made
So subtly as to seem afraid
Of lifting colour from the ground;
And after crocuses the round
Heads of tulips, and all the fair
Intricate garb that Spring will wear.
The wind must sew with needles of rain,
With shining needles of rain,
Stitching into the thin
Cloth of earth, in,
In, in, in,
For all the springs of futurity.
One, two, three.

I view this poem as essentially meaning "April showers bring May flowers". Seeing as how the poem involved a transformation, I thought that it would be apropos to create a reversible garment. I hand-dyed this side of the skirt using a spray dye. The shape and the different materials I used created a paper-bag silhouette.
And this is the other side!!! I hand-painted abstracted flowers on the other side with acrylic paint. I love how the striped shirt is the same exact color of the leaves in the pattern. It pulls together the chaos of the mis-matched prints. The paint is very thick and took forever to dry. However, I do like how the thickness of the fabric gives the skirt more of a shape. I kind of feel like I'm wearing a vinyl tablecloth.
Skirt, handmade. Top, The GAP. Necklace, second hand. Shoes, Aldo. Socks, Target. Bracelet, Forever 21. Flower, Forever 21.

Don't forget guys!!!!
Enter my first ever giveaway here!
It ends on Tuesday!

Follow zoe_schlacter on Twitter

10 comments:

  1. Cute, I love the mixing of stripes and florals, really trendy now. That hand made printed skirt you made looks fabulous with that bright teal striped shirt. Love your blog, so girly!

    my blog: ♥La Stylin Girraffe♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that skirt, the paper bag look is my favorite

    lovelove, M.
    http://marissaexplains.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. very creative

    bet you were the only person who made a skirt for her English project lol, great idea though

    && you look lovely as per

    http://moncheri2311.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the abstract flowers! the colors stand out so well. i don't think I could ever make something like that. Good Job!

    www.jessy-missj.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow kudos for the skirt!!!!! so nice! and ure so pretty as alaways!

    xoxo jenna

    ReplyDelete
  6. cool skirts

    visit, leave your mark, follow?
    htp://kagglejardin.blogsot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. So springy, youthful, and gorgeous!
    -theurbanfashiongal.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both skirts are piece of art!!!ell done!

    Veronica
    http://blameboogie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love your blog!!!!!


    www.smellslikefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I couldn't do this without my lovely readers, commentors, and followers! I'll be sure to check out your blog too!